May is here! For SWE collegiates, it means that another school year is ending and it’s time for a new executive board to take over! Some of you find yourself holding a new leadership role and others are finishing up their FY09 SWE positions. Either way, collegiate sections have to plan for the year ahead. Here are some suggestions that came to mind for this topic, based on my experiences. Feel free to comment and add more.
1) For new SWE leaders, find out as much as you can about your position from the member who previously held the position. This is vital, especially if the outgoing member is graduating. Also, talk to the section president and find out what responsibilities and tasks she is holding you accountable for.
2) For SWE section members, make sure to provide feedback to the leadership of your section and let them know what you think is or isn’t working
3) For graduating members, make sure to leave behind contact information for the members of your alma mater.
4) Remember to fill out your annual and financial reports! I don’t have the information yet, but when I know it I will post it for you all.
5) Fill out section awards! Go to swe.org and nominate your section for all of the great things it does.
6) If you run a summer program, make sure that there are enough members from your section around to make it the best it can be.
Overall, the best advice I can give is plan, plan, plan for next semester, especially if you are on the executive board. The more you do in advance, the less crazy it will be in September.
I wanted to take a moment, as this is my last hot topic, to say thank you for reading. I hope you’ve enjoyed my region blog this year and will continue to read when Lauren takes over for FY10.
Have a great summer!