SWE offers many awards at the regional and society levels in order to recognize the achievements of outstanding SWE members and sections. This post will cover the types of awards available and some advice for applying.
Region E Awards
Region E awards submission period has opened and details on applying can be found on the Region E Awards Page. We will have four awards this year: Outstanding Collegiate Section Award, Communication Media Award, Governor’s Choice Award, and Outstanding Mentor Award. Applications are due February 1, 2015. Please see the awards packet for more information on the guidelines and criteria for each award. If you have any questions on how to complete the awards form, please send them to the Region E Awards Committee.
Individual Awards – Various awards are available for professional and collegiate SWE members. Requirements and instructions for all awards can be found within the Individual Awards Packet on the Individual Awards page. You can also download the packet from the SWE website by clicking on ‘Awards’, then ‘Individual Awards’. The online application allows nominators to submit a complete package online by uploading supporting files. Nominators simply create a single login and submit one or more award packages. Applications can be edited up until the deadline. The nomination deadline for all Individual Awards is March 31, 2015. Awards will be presented at the WE15 Annual Conference in Nashville, TN, October 22-24, 2015.
Collegiate Competitions – SWE offers several competitions for collegiates, some of which require applications. Submissions for the Collegiate Technical Poster Competition are due by June 15. Applications for the Outstanding Collegiate Section/Outstanding New Collegiate Section awards are due by May 31.
Section Awards – Section awards may be awarded to collegiate, professional and MALs in the categories of Communications, Membership, Multicultural Activities, Outreach Programs, and Professional Development. These applications are due by July 1. Award training is available to assist with the application process.
SWE encourages its members to apply for awards sponsored by external organizations and societies. These include:
- New Faces of Engineering (Professional and Collegiate Editions)
- National Engineering and Technology Awards
- Women’s Engineering, Science, and Technology Awards
- Professional Society Awards
More information can be found here.
Winning Award Tips
- Want to learn what excellent award applications look like? The best way may be to join the Region H Awards Committee or the society’s Awards & Recognition Committee and evaluate applications yourself!
- Be fastidious. Applications may be disregarded if you overlook a requirement, even one as simple as font size and page formatting.
- Utilize resources. Make sure to check out any available awards training presentations, and ask the appropriate people if you have questions about the process. If you apply and don’t win, feedback from the awards committee is usually available, helping you succeed at future applications.
- You cannot win an award if you don’t apply or are not nominated!
SWE Announces the 2015 Individual Awards Training
Learn about SWE’s two new awards and online application by joining us for training on the awards nomination process:
Tuesday, January 27th – Register for professional awards training
Wednesday, January 28th – Register for collegiate awards training
8:30 – 9:30 pm EST
Speaker: Maureen Masiulis, FY15 Awards Chair
Both sessions will be recorded for later replays.