As National Conference is nearing closer, here are some for success for navigating a career fair or acing that interview!
- Do your research! Review what companies will be attending. The more you know about an organization and the types of positions they hire for, the better you will come across to the employer.
- Be Prepared! You will be asked to answer questions about yourself. Have your elevator pitch ready that is both brief and gets your purpose for attending the career fair.
- Be Confident! Demonstrate your interest in the company and focus on your talents and why you would be great for the job. This include a firm handshake and good eye contact while speaking with the recruiter.
- Be an active listener! Starting from your handshake, be engaged in what the company representative is saying to you. No two conversations during career fair should be alike, and you should emphasize the qualities you have that the recruiter is emphasizing.
- Follow up! Ask for a business card or an email address. This gives you a direct contact with the organization, including the proper spelling of the representative’s name, direct telephone line, etc. Soon after, write them a brief thank-you note that acknowledges the help they gave you and the time they took to visit campus. It is a great professional habit to get into!
Attending WE15? Get started now by looking at the current list of exhibitors: http://we15.swe.org/exhibitors/exhibitors-at-we15/